Saturday 19 February 2011

An 'inside the house' update............

I am very happy to report that we have just about finished the Parlour - as you can see I chose the floral paper and have used cream for the coving, skirting and dado rail. The floor has proved difficult and does not photograph well, it is made from veneered oak and red cedar but for some reason bubbled...............! It has now been sanded down and looks a lot better. I had to move the mirror to take the picture with the lights on due to the flash - the two little candles on the sideboard are working. I have temporarily misplaced the ceiling rose but as soon as I find it that will go above the light.

I have been making pictures, and am now using long gone relatives!

Since the death of my mother and my inherited boxes and boxes of pictures I have despaired with what to do with them and have started putting them on disk - it occurred to me that many of the black and white images could be used in the dolls house!
I am not sure what the relatives would have thought but I think it is quite nice for them to be seen after so long in a cupboard under the bed!
On the right of this room there is a small pic of my mother and then my father - my father would have been amused to learn he was now in a Victorian dollshouse.


.This is a pic of my maternal grandmother in the hall - sadly I only ever knew about her from this photograph as she died when I was very young. My grandfather always had this picture on his desk

Our housekeeper arrived and is moving into her little bedroom come parlour - she is luck enough to be having a friend make her a patchwork quilt. So she is looking forward to that - she is an older lady made by Heidi Ott and arrived naked! We have quickly managed to get her some clothes as clearly that would never do........................they are a little big!

She has greying hair and some subtle wrinkles so looks quite authentic..........and a bit like me.....!

The other rooms I have decorated still need coving etc to be fitted - apparently my other half (note not better!} tells me you are supposed to do one room at a time................but I got carried away with the wallpapering once I had got the hang of it.

5 comments:

  1. Your house is so charming! We love the parlour and the working lights! Our gram's dollhouse has a few portraits that are meaningful too.

    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found you! It's getting late ... but we'll be back! Hopefully soon!

    Yippeeee!
    J and F and S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!

    You got a really beautiful home! The details are so pretty. Hope it's ok with you that we follow you to see more renovation works.

    Thankies!

    Love,
    Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & Forgie

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I need my upstairs decorated here in Roman Ruins, and you have now been chosen as my Interior Decorater and Designer. I love your taste.

    Please accept my invitation to be chief Interior Designer at the House on Hungry Hill.

    You are so clever.

    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing and beautiful! I have been inspired to give my home a facelift. Please tell me where you got your living room couch!

    House Renovations in Earlsfield

    ReplyDelete