Started with the roof which was stripped of paper and wooden strips are being fitted to be painted grey to give a textured tiled effect. This is ongoing at present. Really could not believe how very expensive 1/12th scale real tiles are!
The inside of the house was already wallpapered and had felt carpets - the plan is to completely strip the existing wallpaper and remove all the felt carpets. This has not been my favourite job and I have started with the rooms on the right hand side. I have removed the felt carpet on the bottom hall and keep looking at all those stairs! Thankfully the house was already fitted with lights.
This is the original interior with a few pieces of furniture bought from Ebay - hated the house being completely empty but now regret buying furniture before I had decided how I wanted the house to look or indeed had properly researched Georgian houses! Apparently Montgomery Hall was based on Fairfax House which is a Georgian townhouse in York. So I have had a good look at their website and notice lots of marble floors and grandeur, realising I have bought more from the Victorian era than the Georgian era.
The only thing I don't regret buying is the little 1/12th scale basset which I couldn't resist! Here he is in the first room I decided to work on !
Although I wasn't at all sure that a basset would have existed in a Georgian town house a helpful comment left on the DHE forum made me realise I could work a basset, or indeed two, into the plans for my house!
"The first application of the word "Basset" to a breed of dog can be traced to La Vénerie, an illustrated text on hunting written by Jacques du Fouilloux in 1561. Fouilloux illustrates wire-haired bassets resembling the modern Basset Fauve de Bretagne. but In 1866, Lord Galway imported a pair of Le Couteulx Bassets to England, but it was not until 1874 that Basset Hounds were widely introduced there by Sir Everett Millais. There is heaps more history on Wikipedia and your family could have brought one over from France before Lord Galway. !"
The forum is proving to be an invaluable resource!
This is the above room - now a study/library!
The 'ship' is waiting for a shelf at present hence sitting on the floor! The ceiling has still to be completed but after four weeks of lots of work with lots of assistance I am happy!Had great difficulty with the mitred edges despite help with a mitre block etc. It became even more complicated when I decided the room was too 'box' like and we should put in a chimney breast and fire. Had to then recut everything! Not helped by Bailey constantly stealing 'my' sticks! Martha is of course terrified of the whole endeavour!
The next room will be much simpler!
Not sure my actual house will ever be the same again - looks like the proverbial bomb has indeed hit us!